default header

Theory

The End of Videogame (and Art) Theory

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: The Popularity vs. Quality Equation

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Apr 2024 16:38

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/673612287

Anonymous wrote:Now that the dust has settled, is it about time we finally admit that Alex Kierkegaard was right the whole time?

Anonymous wrote:Yes, that's correct. Smarter people tend to get bored with simpler games.

Anonymous wrote:Icycalm is just trying to scientifically prove that his taste is the best taste in the world. Because he is the Overman; obviously. Whatever.

The Overman; reduced to streaming Rust on Twitch.

Anonymous wrote:This is the same guy who thinks star citizen is the second greatest game of all time, just underneath his own vapourware title

Anonymous wrote:What are some good First Person 4X games, /v/itizens?

Anonymous wrote:Star Citizen

Not yet, but it will be.

Anonymous wrote:>bait

No, icycalm is genuine.

Anonymous wrote:He is the schizo-philosopher. I'm a huge fan.

Anonymous wrote:>First person 4X
>FP4X

What the FUCK is this shit?

Anonymous wrote:In terms of mechanics and systems. Dungeon crawlers are simple enough that a toddler could play them.

Not a toddler. I played them around 10.

Anonymous wrote:Mediocre games are the most popular, that's all it means, which is pretty true

Yes, and great games are as unpopular as bad ones.

Anonymous wrote:>Pseuds like being given puzzles with many pieces that take ages to solve while lacking the intelligence to see that it is a waste of time.

You could say that of any genre, including fighting games and arcade games. I think you're just coping with the fact you got filtered by genres that actually require intelligent thinking to get good at.

Yep, everyone who prefers dirt-simple games like FTGs to Rust et al. is massively filtered by reality, which is far closer to Rust than to an FTG.

Anonymous wrote:Best Massively-multiplayer Multigroup Survival-building 4X Overworld GMRPG (Ultimate Edition) games?

This person understands.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Normal Distribution Of Videogame Genres V3

Unread postby icycalm » 16 May 2024 13:21

V3 of the videogame genre graph, that I mentioned a while back I was working on, is done. Some points:

• The main addition are the multiple race lines, so that the original White one is joined by black, brown, yellow, and even a superhuman/cyborg one.
  • Why bother adding racism to it? Because we must. Everything must become racial from now on, otherwise the species and civilization are finished.
  • A few words about the black line. It peaks at fighting games because that's the blacks' favorite genre: simple punching and kicking, and ideally in a 2D environment so their brains won't have to deal with a third dimension. As for what kinds of games they make, I've never heard of a black studio, but if one existed I am sure they'd make 2D FTGs with those braindead FTG-making programs that exist, and hideous art.
  • The brown line meanwhile peaks at 2D side-scrollers because the one brown studio I have heard of is a brazilian one that makes bad, and of course ugly, copies of 2D side-scrollers from the '80s. I don't think the browns can work with 3D either. 2D seems to be their ceiling.
  • Of course we know all about yellows, and their line peaks at basically Biohazard, i.e. 3D action-adventure. They've made a handful of cool third-person action games (you know what they are: Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, et al.), and even a couple of interesting first-person ones (Maken X, Breakdown, et al.) which were not however very good. Nor can their third-person ones challenge the production values and sheer cinematicness of Gears of War, because yellows aren't good at cinema. And of course they can't even make open-world games at all because they dislike freedom, on top of the fact they lack the energy to build at such a scale.
  • With Whites it's obvious that their peak is Cyberpunk 2077, meaning open-world CRPG, which has now been added to the graph.
  • After nearly two decades of effort, I am proud to say that we have gestated a new form of life on Insomnia: I give you... Das Übermensch! And of course only Übermensches can make Übermensch games, which is why the only such game really, Alex Kierkegaard's Battlegrounds, had to be designed, directed, produced, and coded by me. You are welcome, future superspecies. And also current Insomnia subscribers, the true Übermensches of today.
  • How can someone become a discerning gaming Übermensch? Only one way: they must subscribe to Insomnia. The theory says so, it's not me, it's the theory that says it. So subscribe and prove you aren't subhuman.
  • Couple of genres have been added: "Rhythm" on the far-left, and Star Citizen on the far-right.
  • Note that the curves are ASYMPTOTES. Google it if you skipped math class. This means that they keep approaching the x-axis without every actually reaching it, which of course can't be represented on the graph, especially not with the thick lines it uses. But the point is that the Übermensch may still enjoy a good fighting game on occasion, just as a rare black person may play Star Citizen or my Battlegrounds. They wouldn't be able to make them though, just as the Übermensch wouldn't enjoy the fighting game all that much.
  • There's some horseplay going on with the turn-based 4X genre. I keep moving it back and forth between the left and right sides of the curve between revisions. It's complicated. But briefly: Civilization is DEFINITELY on the left side of the graph (yes it's mechanically complex but aesthetically DIRT-SIMPLE, so the TOTAL complexity is LOWER than e.g. Divinity: Original Sin's). Alex Kierkegaard's Master of Heroes, on the other hand—the ultimate 4X game, which really is a 4X metaverse game—is definitely on the right side. I'll work on this in future revisions, and for the detailed analyses you'll have to wait for my Civilization and GTA3 VGART essays, as well as the completion of the "Roleplaying Culture" essay in the Ultimate Edition book.
  • This graph is now featured prominently on the Insomnia frontpage (scroll down the left-hand sidebar). Click on the banner image to be taken straight to this thread: the last videogame thread on the internet.

Stuff to be added/revised in V4, in addition to the turn-based 4X issue:

• The Quality label at the x-axis should be rewritten as "Quality = Complexity (Aesthetic + Mechanical)", so that no one will any longer be confused about my meaning (see countless 4chan posts linked earlier).
  • Under the function formula on the top-right should be added the intelligence formula: "Int = IQ + T", to make it clear why yellows underperform so badly.
  • Star Citizen's genre should be changed to "First-person Metaverse (FPM)" and my Battlegrounds' to "Roleplaying Metaverse (RPM)" to make 100% clear what the crucial difference between these games and genres is: they are both metaverses, but SC lacks roleplaying because it lacks a Game Master, which is why it's inferior not only to my game but also to pretty much every decent GMRPG ever, as shown in the graph.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Theory